What is proper etiquette for business meetings
Even Captain Kirk from Star Trek knew: anyone who negotiates with aggressive Klingons or cold-tempered Vulcans is best able to use video. If you can not only hear your counterpart, but also see it, communication simply works better. While video conferences have long since made the leap from the science fiction series to our everyday work, the challenges have remained the same.
- Etiquette for video conferencing
Technology is no longer the problem today. The range of end devices extends from tablets to room systems. Therefore, soft factors such as rules of behavior often determine the success of virtual meetings.
Speak clearly in video conferencing. The ability to understand each participant well is critical to a successful video conference.
- Dos II
Keep it simple. If you are hosting a video meeting, make sure that the instructions for dialing in are simple and understandable and that other participants can dial in quickly and easily.
- Dos III
Look into my eyes, Small. Good eye contact with all participants in a video meeting is very important.
Ringing cell phones are the number one meeting killer in the virtual world as well. So don't show off your latest ringtone until after the meeting.
- Don'ts II
No multitasking during the conference. Your colleagues will notice when you are doing other things on the side - and that is a major problem.
- Don'ts III
Working anytime and anywhere is a plus of modern technology. But the supermarket, train station hall or airport are rather unsuitable places for a video meeting.
- Don'ts IV
Music and other background noises such as children playing distract others. The best thing to do in the office is to hang a "Do not disturb" sign in front of the door.
- Other countries other manners
Be on time. In the USA in particular, virtual meetings also start at the scheduled time and end as planned.
- Different countries, different customs II
Avoid open criticism in conferences with Japanese. Learn to say "no" without actually saying it.
- Different countries, different customs III
Respect, rank, and hierarchies are important in Chinese culture. Treat higher-ranking partners or colleagues with particular respect.
- Different countries, different customs IV
Allow more time for conferences with India. Video conferences tend to be started with small talk, so don't rush. Nevertheless, appropriate business clothing is important.
- Different countries, different customs V
The proverbial British humor is also often used in video conferencing. Just take part.
- Different countries, different customs VI
Italians communicate not only verbally, but also very strongly non-verbally. Don't be afraid to use video conferencing to express yourself using facial expressions and gestures.
- Different countries, different customs VII
Brazilians tend to take a relaxed approach to business meetings. Use video to get to know your business partners and build trust
Communicating with other "beings" via video can quickly lead to misunderstandings - even if our colleagues and customers are sitting opposite us on the other side of the screen, not Borg and Romulans. Despite all its advantages, video communication has some pitfalls: from audio quality to appropriate clothing to the small but fine cultural differences that need to be taken into account.
Video etiquette I: Dos
To this end, Redshift Research and Polycom asked 1,200 business decision-makers worldwide (100 of them in Germany) about their experiences with video conferencing in the course of the study "Global View: Business Video Conferencing Usage and Trends".
Among other things, questions were asked about the success criteria for a video conference. The respondents rated the following three criteria as the most important for an ideal video meeting:
Speak! You! Clear!
The ability to understand each participant well is critical to a successful video conference. So before a video meeting, make sure that the microphones are well spaced in the room and properly aligned. At the beginning of the meeting, ask everyone in the meeting whether you can be heard clearly. Speak slowly and clearly - especially if the participants speak different mother tongues. Mute your microphone when you are not speaking to avoid unwanted background noise.
The simpler the better
This is particularly true of video conferencing technology. Technology that is easy to use plays an important role in a successful video meeting. If you are hosting a video meeting, make sure that the instructions for dialing in are simple and understandable and that other participants can dial in quickly and easily.
Look into my eyes, Small
Good eye contact with all participants in the video meeting is also very important. So look your interlocutors in the eyes via video. Check the camera settings before the meeting and make sure that everyone can be seen clearly on the screen.
- The centrists disappeared from US politics
- Is the IP University a private university
- Should Airbnb consider buying Uber or Lyft
- Is the preamble part of a constitution
- How do satellites work in flat earth
- How did Maratha help Sikhs
- Is there a wave of Modi in Pakistan?
- To which dynasty did King Harshvardhan belong
- We live in a mediocre society
- What causes hot flashes and flashes of cold
- When did exhaust fans become commonplace in the bathroom?
- Which diamond institute offers the best placement
- Is married to TV actress Hina Khan
- Where can I sell my online shop
- Is there a cure for lymphedema
- How do you see Hurricane Harvey
- When should I wear white formal shirts?
- Which countries are now at war?
- How can I become a calm person
- How is it that Indians tolerate CRC?
- Who is BJP equivalent of Dhruv Rathee
- Offers Shine Com jobs in Ahmedabad
- How are news channels rated
- What celebrity do you respect and why
- How do children learn to read
- How is Gondia Maharashtra as a city
- What were your impressions of a visit to the Seychelles
- Which is better Porsche or Bugatti
- How the ancient Greeks worshiped Hades
- How safe are Tata cars
- When should you choose the manual test?
- Can you return shoes to Costco
- How do I talk to God