Where is PPC cement used
Pros & Cons of Ordinary Portland Cement (OPC) via Portland Pozzolana Cement (PPC)
There are many types of cement on the market for every need. Both ordinary Portland cement (OPC) and Portland Pozzolana cement (PPC) are used in constructions. However, some advantages and disadvantages of OPC over PPC are listed below.
Courtesy - 123rf
Pros of OPC over PPC:
01 Initial setup time of OPC is faster than PPC, so it is recommended in projects where props should be removed early.
02. It's easy to use compared to PPC.
03. Its initial strength higher than PPC.
04 The curing period of OPC is shorter than PPC and the curing costs are reduced. Hence recommended where curing costs are prohibitive.
Also read: Different types of cement and their purposes
Disadvantages of OPC over PPC:
01 It cannot be used for bulk concrete as it has a high heat of hydration compared to PPC.
02. Higher grades such as 53 are not recommended to be used for plaster as it is known to develop shrinkage cracks because of its high strength.
03. There are only a few known manufacturers of 33 degree cement.
04 The durability of concrete made with OPC is less than that of concrete made with PPC.
05 Its resistance to harsh chemicals is lower than PPC.
06. When manufacturing OPC, it emits CO2, which is harmful to the environment.
07. It produces comparatively less cohesive concrete than PPC, so pumping concrete becomes a little difficult.
08. OPC has a lower fineness and therefore has a higher permeability and therefore has a lower shelf life.
09. The concrete made of OPC cement is poorly machinable compared to the concrete made with PPC. Hence, premixes are added to make concrete workable that affect the total cost of construction.
10 OPC is cheaper than PPC.
More limestone is used in the manufacture of cement and in a few decades there will be a great shortage of limestone. PPC is made using a fly ash and it is a waste by-product from coal power plants and solves the huge disposal problem and also uses the waste product. Therefore, by partially replacing OPC with fly ash, limestone can be stored in PPC. Therefore it is recommended to use Portland Pozzolana Cement (PPC) instead of ordinary Portland Cement (OPC).
Also Read: Make a Right Choice Between Ordinary Portland Cement (OPC) and Portland Pozzolana Cement (PPC)
- Why do teenagers commit suicide over everything
- How is Asaduddin Owaisi doing as a person
- Is strabismus a sign of beauty
- How do you develop an addictive personality disorder
- Who founded BRICS?
- How do I emigrate to Iceland
- Are communism and capitalism the same
- Why is my C program not running?
- Is there an ISKCON in the USA
- What is BJP's voting strategy
- How do you see Hurricane Harvey
- Why was Christianity created by the Jews
- Should I try again Why?
- Is war necessary for human progress
- Is morality a key to success in life
- Are Costco hot dogs kosher
- Why does the Congress Party support Pakistan
- What do emo children wear
- How many children did Lord Vishnu have
- How is life after the LLB
- How long does an albino person live
- Jabalpur Engineering College is government or private
- Which rappers are nice
- How do conservative Christians see Muslims as homosexuals?