Are the Oscars too white
Oscars not quite as white anymore
Mahershala Ali for "Moonlight", Viola Davis for "Fences": After two years in which only white actors and actresses were nominated for the Oscar, the two black actors have now won the trophy.
In a long-term comparison of the award winners, they are the exception. Of the 342 winners for leading or supporting roles since 1928, seven percent were members of ethnic minorities. This value differs greatly from category to category.
In the category of the best leading actress, a non-white actress won first: Halle Berry received the Oscar in 2002 for her role in "Monster's Ball". The proportion is highest among supporting actresses: Slightly more than every tenth award winner is from an ethnic minority.
The lack of diversity in Hollywood has turned into loud criticism in the past two years and has been released on Twitter under the hashtag #OscarsSoWhite. In response to this, the Oscar jury was increased in advance and received 683 new members - including many women and members of ethnic minorities. With the awards for Mahershala Ali and Viola Davis, the cumulative share of non-white Oscar winners is now seven percent.
"What a difference a year can make," said Cheryl Boone Isaacs while taking the class photo at the pre-award ceremony for the Oscar nominees' traditional lunch. She should also be right after the award ceremony - at least for 2017. (gart, 02/27/2017)
- Is Donald Trump a backlash against feminism
- How can Tamil Eelam gain independence
- Why does Malaysia have a problem with obesity
- What is the difference between culture and style
- What famous celebrities were born in 1972
- What's bad about donations
- Why China Avoids War With India
- What is a scientific name for snakes
- How do I identify an original sapphire
- Why do civilized countries legalize gay marriages
- Masturbation causes a dark circle around the eyes
- What makes Chicago better than New York
- What was the height of Adolf Hitler
- People with crooked eyes see normally
- What do you think of anti-zionists
- How much time does the visa processing work
- What would our world be without books
- Get free travel for airline employees
- Support neo-Nazis in Palestine
- How does the government tax a decentralized crypto currency
- Uric acid rises with Jaggary
- What is a magazine advertisement
- Is Trump's economic corporatism
- How to make a wallet