Where does the name Adonai come from
Part of speech: noun, part of speech: proper nounAnnotation:
- According to the "Duden, The Great Foreign Dictionary", the word is used without an article.
- Ado | nai, no plural
- IPA: [adoˈnaːi]
- 1) Jewish and Christian religion In the Tanach and in the Old Testament, out of religious shyness, the paraphrase of the divine name Yahweh, which should not be pronounced
- The proper name is borrowed from the Hebrew אדוני, interpreted as 'my lord'. More information about the origin of the Hebrew word can be found in the Biblical Lexicon.
- 1) Allah, El, Eloah, Elohim, God, Yahweh, Jehovah, Nus, Sabaoth, Shem ham-meforasch, Zebaoth
- 1) Antichrist, Beelzebub, Demon, Diable, Diabolus, Iblis, Lucifer, Samiel, Satan, Shaitan, Devil, Urian
- 1) religious being
- 1) “Guhrauer first drew attention to the fact that I found the word 'Jehovah' in the consecration ([…]) and attached the remark that the expression ('Jehovah') should be used in place of the previously customary 'Adonai' it became common at the beginning of the 16th century ſei; - Until then, the expression or the reading 'Jehovah' was not known at all. "
- 1) “Enjoy, drink, whore, sit up at the table, curse, condemn, speak blood judgment, trembling praise sing a terrible one Adonai, the left hand caresses you, the right hand your brothers, sisters, fathers and mothers [,] tearing myriads after myriads from the graves, giving life and throwing them into the hellish abyss? "
- 1) “There is not a flake of pity in it, but one of them cries out to heaven from the dark tower: Adonai – Adonai!“
- 1) “... This is how the word becomes Adonai finally regarded as a concentrated theological statement about God's nature, similar to the name Yahweh, and was used as its paraphrase when reading the OT when one no longer dared to pronounce it. "
- 1) “Christmas is a good time to also remember that war, as is well known, begins in the minds that God, Allah and Adonai are just three names for the 'only one'. "
- Nominative: singular Adonai; Plural —
- Genitive: singular Adonai; Plural —
- Dative: singular Adonai; Plural —
- Accusative: singular Adonai; Plural —
- Arabic (DMG):
- Armenian(DIN 32706): 1) Ադոնայ (Adonay)
- English: 1) Adonai
- French: 1) Adonaï
- Hebrew: 1) אֲדֹנָי (ʾadonāy)
- Italian: 1) Adonai
- Yiddish (Eastern): 1) אַדוני (adoyni)
- Catalan: 1) Adonai
- Norwegian: 1) Adonai
- Polish: 1) Adonai (male), Adonaj (male)
- Spanish: 1) Adonai
- Czech: 1) Adonai, Adonaj
Part of speech: noun, (male)Note on the declination:
- The noun Adonai is mostly used indeclinably (Singular 1).
- A | do | nai, no plural
- IPA: [aˈdɔnaj]
- 1) Religion, especially Judaism, Christianity: Adonai, Adonaj
- 1) Bóg, Yahweh / Jehowa
- German: 1) Adonai (male), Adonaj (male)
Similar words (German):Adoneus, Adoni, Adonia, Adonis, Adonius, Adony
Entries from our dictionary containing "Adonai":
God: ... 2) in Islam: Allah, Almighty, All-Knowing, ... 2) in Judaism: YHWH / Yahweh / Jehovah, Elohim, Adonai ... 2) in Platonic philosophy: Demiurge 2) in Gnosis / Gnostics: Demiurge ...
Satan:… Iblis, Schaitan 2) out of date: Diable, out of date derogatory: Urian Opposite words: 1) Adonai, El, Eloah, Elohim, God, Yahweh, Jehovah, Nus, Sabaoth, Zebaoth; islamic: Allah ...
Beelzebub: ... Diable, Diabolus, Iblis, Lucifer, Samiel, Satan, Shaitan, Devil, Urian Opposite words: 1) Adonai, Allah, El, Eloah, Elohim, God, Jahwe, Jehovah, Nus, Sabaoth, Shem ...
Allah: see The 99 names of Allah related terms: 1) Adonai, El, Eloah, Elohim, Jahwe, Jehovah, God, Nus, Sabaoth, Schem ham-meforasch, Zebaoth General terms: 1) religious being Examples of use: 1) Allah is the Creator of the worlds, however, it is not part of the material world
Jehovah: ... vowel characters added to the Hebrew text of the replacement word Adonai, which was used as a substitute for religious shyness, incorrect reading for Yahweh Origin of the term: comes from ...
Rate & Share
Rate the dictionary entry or share it with friends.
Quote & print
Quote this page:
"Adonai" in the online dictionary Wortbedeutung.info (May 21, 2021) URL: https://www.wortbedeutung.info/Adonai/
Comments from users
There are currently no comments on this entry.
Complete the dictionary entry
Wortscheutung.info is a Language dictionary and is used to look up all linguistic information. It's explicit not an encyclopedia and no subject dictionary that explains content. Add a note to the entry "Adonai". You can add application examples or hints to the use of the term "Adonai". Questions, requests for help and complaints are not welcome and will be deleted immediately. HTML tags are not allowed.
The following terms
Adonaj (German) Part of speech: noun Cases: nominative: singular Adonaj; Plural - genitive: singular Adonaj; Plural - ...
Adoneus (German) Part of speech: noun, (male) Cases: nominative: singular Adoneus; Plural - genitive: singular Adoneus; ...
Adonis (German) Part of speech: noun, (male), part of speech: proper name Cases: nominative: singular Adonis; Plural - genitive: ...
Adonisa (Polish) Part of speech: Declined form Grammatical features: Genitive singular of the noun Adonis Accusative singular…
Adonisem (Polish) Part of Speech: Declined Form Grammatical Features: Instrumental singular of the noun Adonis
Adonisie (Polish) Part of speech: Declined form Grammatical features: Locative singular of the noun Adonis Vokative singular des…
Adonisowi (Polish) Part of speech: Declined form Grammatical features: Dative singular of the noun Adonis
Adonis (German) Part of speech: noun, (neuter) cases: nominative: singular das Adonisröschen; Most of the Adonis ...
Adonis beauty (German) Part of Speech: Declined Form Hyphenation: Ado | nis | rös | chens Pronunciation / Stress: IPA:…
- Do you live in the united states
- Which is better jumping rope or running
- Which is the best pizza without vegetables
- What new US Constitution are you proposing
- Why is YIFY not prohibited
- Why did Italy join the Triple Alliance?
- Was Beethoven of African descent
- How can I learn HTML CSS
- What is the indicator of a curfew
- Should we trust Russia
- Is Jared Kushner really smart
- Recruitment companies publish fake jobs
- What is the most American word
- Are you abused 1
- Hey, do you like to bake
- Why do people start with organized crime?
- How was the British flag born
- Why is lead tetrachloride unstable
- Why are the Delhi police so mean
- What celebrity has helped the world the most
- What are the cutest K-Drama couples
- Why do I feel tired but restless
- Why should we get good grades
- What is meant by democratic government