Are we really someone's creation?
Article | editorial staff
In the Bible, God is called the Creator. But what makes a creator? And what does it mean to us humans to be created?
- In the Bible God is described as Creator and life.
- The authors of the Bible did not claim to explain how God did this with creation.
- The human being is only a small part of the total creation. But we are allowed to participate in the creation and maintenance of the world in a special way.
If you look at the Bible, you might notice that God is spoken of over and over again as the Creator. The first sentence in the Bible reads: "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." (Genesis 1.1) God simply creates out of nothing by speaking. That almost sounds like magic. The writers of the Bible obviously had little interest in explaining how God did all of this. It was important to them that God made everything.
God is the origin
The writers of the Bible spent a lot of time outdoors, and so the realization was important to them: No matter how great the wonders of nature and the cosmos are, God is greater because He is the source. Psalm 104 puts this in a very humorous way. There it says: "[...] there is the Leviatan that you made to play with." The Leviatan was a kind of large sea monster that people who went to sea were afraid of.
In the Bible, creation is not understood as a one-time act, but as something that lasts. God is life itself. This means that not only did he create everything, but that everything that lives is kept alive by him. In the Psalms it is described in very poetic pictures how God takes care of his creation (Psalm 104).
A warm invitation
The authors of the Bible say that we are in God's image. This means that we are like him in certain respects and that he takes us seriously as a counterpart. And because God is the creator and cares about his creation, we are invited to do the same. This means that we too should take care of the world and be creative. So create new and beautiful things like music or art, but also encouraging words and helpful inventions.
According to the biblical understanding, people are also part of creation. We receive God's special attention, skills and tasks - but we remain part of creation. This knowledge helps us not to take ourselves too seriously with everything mighty and impressive that we humans create.
Source: Psalm 104:24Tweet
Salt of the earth is the motto of the Ecumenical Day of Creation 2019. Various Christian churches have come together to thank God for creation and to work to ensure that it will last for a long time to come.
In your opinion, which word should still exist and where should it be? Create this word with our word creation tool.
Where are you most
Where are you most
In the mountains
Near the sea
In the forest
In the city
Luther is supposed to have said: "And if I knew that tomorrow the world would end, I would still plant an apple tree today."
What gives you courage? Plant a virtual apple tree as a sign of the future.
konfiweb.de is an online magazine of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Bavaria. Every second month there is a new edition which tells with stories, interviews and pictures about life, faith and confirmation. konfiweb.de is a participatory format.
- Runkeeper is synchronized with the basic health tracker
- What makes green concrete sustainable?
- How do I become a Zoho expert?
- How do morphine and morphine sulfate differ
- Which stock exchange is better for stock trading?
- What attractions are there in Brisbane, Australia
- Can someone file a lawsuit against SSC
- Does India have the right to revoke Kashmiri status
- Admires Donald Trump dictators
- Most universities require a foreign language
- Does religion stifle true enlightenment
- What are type lenses
- What are Provisional Governments characterized for?
- How does reality come about
- How do I book a truck
- Which caste comes into the jat
- Is Donald Trump sexier than Vladimir Putin
- Which is better MAMC or Seth GS
- What does Sonnale mean in Tamil?
- How is GDP related to the stock exchange
- Are the people of Calgary friendly
- What are the limits of soft power
- Which is the first Malayalam film
- Can I smoke weed with my turtle?
- Who is the President of Uzbekistan
- Why is Florence called Florence in English
- Why don't people like hypebeast fashion style
- How is Pakistan a failure
- Under what articles is Trump charged?
- Which department do you choose after BE in mechanical
- Most people have sex while they sleep
- Can be given coconut water for diabetes
- How was John Lennon personally
- Are geniuses for biological reasons