What are some typical Hyderabadi words
Hinglish - Singh is King
Famous mistakes in Indian English / Hinglish
The influence of Indian languages on the English language has produced some interesting results. Here are some examples of Indian English coined by Hindi:
1. Where are you putting up?
The Indian way of asking where do you live / do you live?
2. I belong to Delhi.
Not “I live / live in Delhi” but “I come from / am from”. So, born in Delhi.
3. Myself, Hemant.
Hemant introduces himself.
4. What is your good name?
Kindly ask for the name. Has nothing to do with good or bad name, but with the literal translation from Hindi. The question is: "Aap ka shubh naam kya hai" (subh naam = good name)
5. It's like that only.
Means something like: "It's just the way it is."
6. This is my real brother.
Everyone is a brother in India! To differentiate, say “real brother” when it comes to the real brother.
7. We are shifting.
8. She is foreign-returned.
For a person who has returned from abroad.
9. Do one thing.
It's about a specific task. This expression is also a direct translation from Hindi: "Ek kaam kijiye hamara ..." It translates as something like: Do something. This term is used in advice or calls.
10. He is first-class first.
Parents praise their son's academic dignity.
11. Out of station
I'm on the go or out of town.
12. Cent per cent done. Ok boss.
Hinglish means one hundred percent. So if you say that in an email to your supervisor, you mean, for some reason, that you have finished your job.
13. He passed out of college in 1997.
It's not about fainting, maybe through fainting. Instead, it means graduating from college.
14. Do the needful.
Archaic language at its best, this is one of the most common Hinglish phrases to use to end an official email.
These are well-known phrases in Indian English / Hinglisch from everyday usage. There is actually no single source to which they can be attributed, as they are common and common.
Faizal Khan writes about art and culture in New Delhi.
Translation: Translated from the English by Kathrin Hadeler
Copyright: Text: Goethe-Institut
- What determines the value of a picture
- What is AWS Lambda 1
- How many symphonies did Mozart write?
- Is Terminal 1D in Palam Airport
- Are suicide bombs fair according to Islam?
- Which countries are enemies of North Korea?
- How much is America's military worth
- What are the four levels of communication
- What was the worst year in history
- Is international law is true law
- How high can the salaries of the actors be?
- Why are there more idiots in Bihar
- Who is your best soccer player
- How does Hinduism see atheists
- How do you really get involved in something
- Why not more people like Bill Shorten
- Can bacteria grow without a source of carbon
- New Zealands Maori originated from Hawaii
- Punjabi is an official language in Pakistan
- Can AAP replace Congress nationally
- Why is the Indian media so corrupt
- What percentage of universities are non-profit?
- Why does Israel need a Palestinian state
- Is Kulbhushan Jadhav really a spy