What are some quirky musical instruments
USA: Day of Failed Musical Instruments
Admittedly, it is not entirely clear who initiated Uncommon Musical Instrument Awareness Day in the United States. And why it is celebrated on July 31st of all places. Or why it is not recognized internationally. He shares the fate of most bizarre holidays, such as the day of the kiss or the day of the sweatpants.
In contrast to the special days just mentioned, musical instruments, however remote they may be, are anything but banal and unimportant, because humans have always enjoyed sounds and music - the flutes made of bird bones and mammoth tusks, the were found in German caves and are over 42,000 years old, prove it.
© Antoine Saito
Octobass, Orchester Symphonique Montréal
From octobass to toy piano
Of course, every musical instrument is a small miracle and should be appreciated accordingly, but with the rarities it often becomes more interesting: How does the theremin work again? Weren't classical concerts specially composed for the jew's harp? And didn't John Cage also dedicate a few works to the toy piano? How is an octobass actually played in view of its gigantic size? Is the typewriter really an instrument too? Or how do glass harmonica and glass harp differ from one another?
What is out of the way is brought into focus
All these questions came up in the concerti editorial team when it was first referred to the day of the failed musical instruments. It quickly became clear: We not only want to draw attention to this bizarre holiday, but also use it as an opportunity to present remote or long-forgotten instruments in more detail. Why were they invented? What works have been written for you? Why have they not been able to establish themselves as a mass instrument? And how are they actually played?
Join us over the next few weeks on our exciting musical instrument tour that takes the carillon or the Wagner tuba just as seriously as the nose flute or the kazoo. By the way, tomorrow our musical summer series will start with the jaw harp.
The typewriter as an instrument:
The toy piano in action:
- How common are failures in NFL football
- What is the most polluted Chinese province
- Lankan Tamils have a caste system
- Are Taylor Swift's songs too personal
- Does Arma 3 need a good computer
- Are breakfast cereals vegan
- Have a pleasant war experience
- What is the greatest palindrome
- What is Eid Ka Chand Hona
- How do some professors get famous?
- Do people know that they are arrogant
- How is discrimination taught
- What do you think is Hinduism
- Stop feeding the baby
- How can I go abroad 2
- When did Turkey become a developed country?
- What is literal opposite
- Why did Angkor Wat fail
- How should one lead a short life
- Logical thinkers are geniuses
- What caused the Great Depression of 1939
- Should Hong Kong ban the Mandarin language
- Is China against Balochistan?
- How good is it to take surveys online