Why NDTV can be broadcast for free
Why This Kolaveri Di
Why This Kolaveri Di (English / Tamil for example: "Why this murderous rage, girls?") Is an Indian film song. It comes from the Tamil film3 and is interpreted by the actor and singer Dhanush. The song has a simple and very catchy melody, the tragicomic text is written in a mixed language of broken English and Tamil and tells of the heartache of a rejected man. Why This Kolaveri Di was prematurely released on the Internet before the film was released in November 2011 and quickly developed into a pop culture phenomenon in India. The song was viewed ten million times on the Internet platform YouTube in the first two weeks after its publication and distributed on social networks such as Facebook and Twitter. The Indian media also reported extensively on the success of Why This Kolaveri Di.
Why This Kolaveri Di is a tragicomic love song that tells in simple sentences about the heartache of a young man who has been rejected by the woman he loves. The man sings about a "girl with white skin" (White skin-u girl-u girl-u, a light complexion is considered the ideal of beauty), but whose heart is black (Girl-u heart-u black-u). Their eyes would have met (Eyes-u eyes-u meet-u meet-u), but now his future is dark (My future-u dark-u). The man longs for the woman back, believes he is already dying and asks himself how she can be happy in this situation (I want you here now-u, God-u I am dying now-u, she is happy how-u). The man's self-pity culminates in the chorus in the question "Why this murderous rage, girl?" (Why this kolaveri di). In addition to the actual lyrics of the song, the improvised song contains numerous interim remarks by the singer to the composer on the keyboard ("Rhythm correct. Maintain, please ", “The rhythm is good. Please hold ").
The text of Why This Kolaveri Di is written in a mixed language of broken English and Tamil, which is sometimes ironically referred to as "Tanglish". Except for the keyword kolaveri and notes from the singer, all words in the song are English, but the phonetics and grammar of the text are heavily influenced by Tamil. The auxiliary vowel is used in the pronunciation-u [ɯ], which, as in Tamil, is added to words that end with a consonant to facilitate pronunciation. The syntax is rudimentary ("Girl-u heart-u black-u" For "The girl's heart is black", "The girl's heart is black") and clearly influenced by Tamil ("She is happy how-u" For "How can she be happy", "How can she be happy?"). The Tamil influence on grammar goes so far as to use Tamil suffixes with English words, such as the locative suffix -la in "Distance-la moon-u" ("In the distance the moon [shines]"). When Dhanush prepares to do so, the line Kai-la glass-u (Tamil for "a glass in hand") he is reminded by the sound engineer to only sing in English ("Only English!"), and replaces the Tamil word kai through the English hand ("Hand-la glass-u, glass-la scotch-u, eyes-u full-aa tear-u", "In the hand a glass, in the glass a Scotch, the eyes full of tears").
Some Tamil words and slang terms in the lyrics are not easily understood by non-Tamils. The Tamil word kolaveri (கொலைவெறி), which appears in the song's title and chorus, literally means “murderous rage,” but is often used in the slang phrase "En inda kolaveri" (ஏன் இந்தக் கொலைவெறி, literally “why this murderous rage?”). The particlesdi (டி) is a confidential form of address in Tamil that is used towards women. The title Why This Kolaveri Di can be freely translated as "Why do you hate me like that, girl?" At the beginning of the song, the singer Dhanush declares the piece as soup song ("Yo boys, I am sing song, soup song", "Hey guys, I'll sing a song, one soup song"). Doubt about the meaning of the word soup (actually "soup") clarified Dhanush via Twitter: "Soup song na love failure song. [...] Doubt clear aa? " ("Soup song means a song about failure in love. Doubts removed?").
Why this Kolaveri Di achieved enormous popularity after its publication and quickly developed into an internet phenomenon. The video too Why This Kolaveri Di was posted on November 16, 2011 by Sony Music India on the YouTube video platform. By November 26th, the video had been viewed five million times, The 10 million mark was broken on November 30th. At the turn of the year 2011/2012 the number of calls was already 30 million. On the microblogging service Twitter was Why This Kolaveri Di on November 21st the most important Indian trend. The link to the video was redistributed 8.2 million times in less than a week on the Facebook social network. As the first Tamil film song, Why This Kolaveri Di Broadcast throughout India by radio stations and the music television station MTV India.
The success of Why This Kolaveri Di this was followed by a great response in the Indian press. Found outside India Why This Kolaveri Di Mention in American magazine Time and was named song of the year by the American television station CNN. In addition to the catchy tune of the melody, the success of the song is also attributed to its originality. The text, bordering on absurdity, makes for comedy, but at the same time addresses the fear of failure of young men. With his antihero role in the song, actor Dhanush underlines his image as a “boy next door” and ensures that his fans can identify with him. The language of the song speaks primarily to the English-speaking urban youth.Why This Kolaveri Di embody a trend in Tamil film songs towards colloquial texts with anglicisms. The broken “Tanglish” gives the song a Tamil flavor, but also makes it accessible to non-Tamils.
The Turkish interpreter Sertab Erener covered Why This Kolaveri Di on her studio album Sade under the title Söz. Numerous imitations and parodies of the song have surfaced on the Internet, including versions with a female voice, in Tamil, in Hindi and bhangra style punjabi. A Tamil "counter-version" from Jaffna criticizes the mix of languages in Why This Kolaveri Di and asks in the diction of Tamil cultural nationalism: “Why this murderous hatred of the Tamil language? [...] The Tamil language is older than stone and sand. If you are tamil you should have a little self-respect ”.
Have critics Why This Kolaveri Di accused of a misogyne tendency. The song only blames the woman for the failure of the romance. Like many other Tamil film songs, the song underpins the dominant male perspective in matters of love. The singer Dhanush rejected the criticism in a television interview. After all, he got from one "White skin-u girl-u girl-u" and not from "Girls-u girls-u" sung, meaning a specific woman in the film and not women in general. Anyway, he emphasizes, one is allowed to do so Why This Kolaveri Di don't take it too seriously, it's just a "silly song".
- ↑ Interview with Anirudh on indiaglitz.com.
- ↑ "Dhanush's 'dummy lyrics'", Gulf News, December 27, 2011.
- ↑ Srinivasa Ramanujam: "'3' songs leaked!", Times of India, November 11, 2011.
- ↑ Video by Why This Kolaveri Di on Youtube.
- ↑ "With millions of hits, 'Kolaveri Di' on song", Times of India, November 25, 2011.
- ↑ "The audio of 3 launched, pukka Dhanush style!", IndiaGlitz, December 24, 2011.
- ↑ Video of the film version of Why This Kolaveri Di on Youtube.
- ↑ "Kolaveri: What does it mean actually?",Times of India, November 25, 2011.
- ↑ Tweet from Dhanush on November 14, 2011.
- ↑ Manusha Radhakrishnan: "‘ Tanglish ‘song is latest internet hit", Gulf Times, November 26, 2011.
- ^ "Kolaveri Di crosses 10-million mark", Hindustan Times, November 30, 2011.
- ↑ "Kolaveri di song goes viral on Net", Times of India, November 24, 2011.
- ↑ "With millions of hits, 'Kolaveri Di' on song", Times of India, November 25, 2011.
- ^ "Kolaveri becomes youth anthem", NDTV, November 25, 2011.
- ↑ Excerpt on YouTube.
- ↑ Sudish Kamath: "Why this‘ Why this Kolaveri ’?", The Hindu, November 23, 2011 (Memento of the original from November 24, 2011 in Internet Archive) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.@ 1 @ 2 Template: Webachiv / IABot / www.thehindu.com
- ↑ Shankaran Malini: "Kolaveri Di phenomenon", Times of India, November 22, 2011.
- ↑ Female version of Why This Kolaveri Di on Youtube.
- ^ Tamil version of Why This Kolaveri Di on Youtube.
- ^ Hindi version of Why This Kolaveri Di on Youtube.
- ^ Punjabi version of Why This Kolaveri Di on Youtube.
- ↑ Jaffna version of Why This Kolaveri Di on Youtube.
- ↑ A. Srivathsan: "A song infected by misogynist undertone", The Hindu November 23, 2011.
- ↑ Interview with Aishwarya and Dhanush on NDTV, November 22, 2011.
- Do the Republicans want Trump to be indicted
- Are Korean and Mandarin the same language
- Why do monkeys smoke
- What are the different types of notes
- Is married to TV actress Hina Khan
- Do people believe in God or in religion
- Can a trained woman defeat a man?
- What are some really simple food recipes
- What is it like to be transgender in China
- Which browser supports ES6
- Why is Reuters so biased against Trump
- Are Modis' economic policies successful or not
- Are Dota 2 female heroes ugly
- What MBTI personality is Trump's wife
- What are left wing extremist values
- What are your favorite memories
- How are rubber boots stretched?
- How are dividends shared with ETF holders
- Which countries love America right now
- Can I control my TV without WiFi?
- How many smartphone users are there in Bangladesh
- Which industries have no innovation and why
- How was IIIT H founded
- What functions does political science have
- Does it hurt to get an IV
- Human evolution could have been better
- What is speculative fiction
- What types of companies shouldn't be using Salesforce?
- Does the inpatient psychiatric care work?
- What did the Celtic British look like
- Dhoni is a fraud
- The government will remove Article 370 from Modi
- What are the benefits of democracy