Is strabismus a sign of beauty
Squint and amblyopia
When squinting, one eye deviates from the direction of the other. The deviation can be so small (microstrabismus) that it escapes even attentive parents. With microstrabism, however, the visual acuity of the cross-eyed eye is often particularly poor, as it is recognized and treated too late due to its inconspicuous appearance.
Often one and the same eye always squint because it sees poorly and / or is less mobile (so-called one-sided or "monolateral" squint). If both eyes are equivalent, one usually observes an alternating ("alternating") squint, that is, alternating squinting between the left and right eye.
Fig. 1: The different forms of squint
The cross-eyed eye can deviate from the non-cross-eyed eye in different directions.
If a misalignment is constantly present, one speaks of manifest strabismus. The above-mentioned micro-squint - usually one-sided and directed inwards - also belongs to manifest strabismus. Another special form of manifest squint is usually outwardly directed, only in phases ("intermittent") squinting.
Squinting is never harmless or just cute, it "doesn't grow out" either, but usually causes one-sided weakness of vision and severe disorders of binocular and especially three-dimensional vision if the necessary ophthalmological treatment is delayed.
Latent (hidden) strabismus, also known as heterophoria, is widespread. It can be detected in over 70 percent of all people when the two-eyed vision is reversed by covering one eye or in a similar way. In most cases, heterophoria does not cause any symptoms, but if it exceeds what is tolerable it can cause tiredness, a feeling of tension, headaches and a reluctance to read. The ophthalmologist also describes a heterophoria with symptoms as a pathophoria.
- How do Brazilians perceive their military
- What is the significance of standards
- Are these questions correct in Mandarin Chinese?
- Why don't people reply to emails
- When will Costco be replenished?
- Has capitalism lowered the global Gini coefficients
- How do I deal with ignorant classmates
- Should Trump speak out against racial hatred
- Why is tartar sauce called that
- What are the four main swimming movements
- How does Infosys 1
- The front end dies
- Why is pornography so overrated among teenagers
- What are the effects of vaping on teenagers
- How do you improve your focus programming
- Has Africa or Asia marsupials
- What is this type of jewelry
- What things make an eventual war inevitable?
- How were medieval torches actually
- What is religious primer
- Which countries allow sports betting
- Will world communism ever happen?
- What does a narcissistic ENFP look like
- How do I cure pink eyes