What is a nested function in Excel
Nested IF functions
Problems that have more than two possible results cannot be solved with a simple IF function.
An example should clarify this:
Parcels on a conveyor belt should be divided into three length categories: SMALL, MEDIUM and LARGE.
The rule is:
If package <= 20cm
Otherwise if package <= 60 cm
You see: If you formulate the rule in normal everyday language, you already get the structure of a nested IF function, the first ELSE argument is again an IF function.
Assuming the packet length were in cell A1, the formula for our task is:
IF (A1 <= 20; "SMALL"; IF (A1 <= 60; "MEDIUM"; "LARGE"))
As you can easily see, the more complex the formula, the more difficult the notation, where are the semicolons, where are the brackets and how many?
Let the function assistant help you.
Call the IF function.
Figure 73, dialog for the first IF function
Click in the Else Value field and then call an IF function again. To do this, click on the IF button, which is located immediately above the column header of column A.
The dialog box for entering the function arguments opens again, this time for the second, the nested IF function.
Figure 74, dialog for the second IF function
If you now have problems with orientation: Look in the editing line, there you will see the formula that has been started. It contains the IF function twice; the part that you are currently editing in the "Function Arguments" dialog box is shown in bold (see Figure 74).
The editing line is ideal for navigating nested formulas: If you click on a function name, EXCEL will show you the associated dialog box. You can make changes without worrying about the syntax of the notation.
For example, if you click back in the first IF function of the editing line in the current editing state, EXCEL will show you the formula, which has now been completed, in the dialog box according to Figure 75.
Figure 75, The first IF function complete
If you are working with nested functions, you should always check all functions in the manner just described before entering the formula:
Didn't find what you're looking for? Enter your search term here!
Exercises on the IF function
- How do Punjabis celebrate Diwali
- What bacteria grow in meat
- What are the BJP taking against Andhra Pradesh
- Most Americans are easily offended
- Why is personal hygiene very important
- Are American action films popular in China?
- What is the TCP and IP protocol
- Are corticosteroid injections harmful?
- Has communism ever worked well
- Hate Belgaum Marathi Kannada
- Russian women like men from Spain
- Which ideas can be patented
- What does an aircraft leasing company do
- How do I cure almonds naturally
- What are some bitcoin experiences with Zebpay
- Is wearing contact lenses comfortable?
- How often is it sunny in Australia?
- Respect Marathas Rajputs
- How can you become a talented person
- Why is Aragorn heir to the throne
- Why are many American Christians on the right
- What if torrenting is prohibited
- Who is sponsoring Fernando Alonso
- Has the Indian media lost perspective?