How Burhan Wani was killed

Bloody protests after the death of rebel leaders in Kashmir

This article is older than a year.

The death of a Muslim rebel leader sparked bloody protests in the Indian part of Kashmir. Eight protesters were killed in clashes with security forces in the Himalayan region yesterday. More than 100 people were injured, the police in Srinagar said.

The authorities imposed curfews and blocked mobile internet services in various locations. A Hindu pilgrimage has been canceled.

Rebel chief died in police action

The day before, Indian soldiers had killed the rebel leader Burhan Muzaffar Wani in Kashmir. He was one of the leaders of the Islamist Hizbul Mujahideen (Party of the Holy Warriors), which, among other things, is classified as a terrorist organization by the EU. Wani died along with two other fighters, the police said.

Only 22-year-old Wani had reportedly joined the rebels by the age of 15 and had quickly climbed their ranks. In a video he had called on his supporters to attack police officers according to a report by "India Today".

Police shot stone throwers

After his death, protests broke out in various locations in Indian Kashmir. Protesters shouted pro-Pakistani slogans, burned tires and attacked police stations with stones. According to a police officer, seven people died when police shot at the stone throwers and an eighth drowned when he fell into a river. Around 20,000 people attended Wani's funeral in Tral, around 40 kilometers south-east of Srinagar, according to the Indian news agency IANS.

The conflict reignited

The violence that has been simmering in Kashmir for decades has recently increased again. At least ten rebels were killed in gun battles in June. The insurgents are fighting for the secession of Kashmir from India.

India accuses neighbor Pakistan of supporting them, which Pakistan rejects. Kashmir is divided between the nuclear powers Pakistan, India and China. India and Pakistan have already fought two wars for the region.